Wednesday, May 17, 2006

17 May 2006: Back in the Saddle!

After a 3 week layoff due to travelling and lousy weather (record rain here in MA), it was back into the cockpit for an evening of IFR training. I was sure that tonight would be an excercise in chasing courses and needles since it feltlike eons since I'd been under the Foggles..

Breaking with tradition, we headed west to shoot an RNAV/GPS approach at Fitchburg. It was right on the money laterally, but would have been a missed approach because I was coming in too high. Lesson learned......descend at 700 fpm on those non-precision approaches. You want to be at the MDH far before the MAP in order complete the descent using normal maneuvers. The missed approach went fine so I set up for the VOR approach to Minuteman Field in Stowe, MA. Manchester VOR is over 20 miles away so even though the VOR needle was centered, at the MAP I was still quite a bit off to the left. I could have easily shot a landing, but it was a good illustration of how far off the VOR approach can be that far from the station.

Finally, flew through some light rain back to the ILS 29 at Bedford. No sweat, no strain! On the weekend I'm hoping to get in some partial panel approaches and circle-to-land. First time in a while I've flown Wednesday evening and gotten back in daylight....Whoopee! Summer is right around the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home