Sunday, April 02, 2006

2 April, 2006: GPS Approaches

Pretty windy today. Bedford was 14 gusting to 28 so I knew we would have some bumps. Departure was smooth and I set up for the Lawrence 23 VOR approach. Flew right to the Lawrence VOR and then turned outbound followed by a procedure turn to intercept the inbound radial. I was OK but there was considrable changes in crab angle needed during descent to hold the VOR course. At the missed approach, we were directed south by ATC and I set up for the GPS 16 at Beverly. We were prectically at the LADTI IAF so I barely had time to fly to LADTI, execute a course reversal and start the GPS approach. I was descending a about 700 fpm but with a 40 knot tailwind, we wound up pretty high at the MAP. After that, a turn to the south set us up to intercept the ILS for Bedford runway 29. With all the gusting crosswind, I only used 10 degres of flaps and carried a little extra speed into the landing. Good day but need more practice on pre-briefing and set-up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home