Sunday, August 03, 2008

Finally...Some Actual IFR

With this lousy weather pattern this summer, it seems every low pressure system decides to stall on its way out to the Atlantic. Flying down to Nantucket and the islands has been a chore due to extremely low visibility in fog and mist in the morning gradually switching over to afternoon thunderstorms. Trying to get in some solo IFR time in some modest overcast layers has been pretty tough.
Today was another such morning but I decided to head to the airport and hope for some improvement. When I arrived to preflight, the METAR was 1/4 mile visibility in fog. Runway 11 actually had an RVR (Runway Visual Range) of between 1800 and 2600 feet.
So lets talk about minimums. Standard departure minimums for 2 engine or less aircraft would be 1 mile visibility. Clearly a no go from this point of view. No under part 91, I could legally depart in 0/0 minimums but say I had an engine problem on climb out; If a turn was possible back to the airport I would have the ILS for runway 29 available to guide me back in. The ILS minimums for 29 are 328' and 1/2 mile visibility. No Go. Finally there are my personal minimums. I conservatively want a ceiling above traffic pattern altitude at this stage of the game so it's a no go from this point of view as well.
However, by the time preflight was complete, visibility had increased to 2-3 miles and ceilings were 800 feet. I decided to grab a CFII who was hanging out (VFR student had cancelled) and head down to the Cape to get some dual time. We taxied out in the Skylane and I set up my #2 NAV for the Runway 29 ILS in case s return should be needed. We took off and I pitched for Vy but brought my flaps in early so I wouldn't be retracting them in the clouds. By about 2,000 feet, we were already above the clouds and in sunshine. We were cleared to KMVY direct at 7,000 feet.
The undercast only extended until north of I-495 while all of Cape Cod Sound was firmly fogged in. Nantucket sound was in better shape with the fog burning of of Martha's Vineyard to the extend that a visual approach was possible. Instead, I donned the foggles and asked for the ILS into KMVY, which went well. After obtaining a clerance back to KBED, we were off and heading back north.
The earlier overcast was slowly breaking up but mostly to the west of Bedford toward Worcester, As ATC vectored me to intercept the localizer and descend to 2,000 feet, I was back in the clouds and remained so until about 800 feet. I broke out and used the VASI for the remainder of the descent.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

it's good to hear some other pilots happy to fly IFR, but also having personal minimums...

Happy and safe landings to you

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home