Sunday, July 13, 2008

Some IFR Approaches

I decided to shoot some overdue IFR approaches today while under the hood in the Skylane with integral autopilot. The sky was hazy with an overcast layer somewhere around 6,000 feet so I filed for 6, hoping to get into some actual soup. Keene, NH seemed like a good destination; far enough to count as cross country time but close enough to get in a couple of approaches.After engine start, I received clearance via Manchester, direct at 6,000 feet. I copied ATIS and entered the altimeter setting in the Primary Flight Display (PFD) and the backup altimeter. No need to enter it in the autopilot seperately. Alone at the end of runway 29, I did my runup and pre-departure checks, obtained my IFR realease and takeoff clearance and was on my way. At 500 feet AGL, I retracted flaps and throttled back to 24" Hg manifold pressure and 2400 rpm on the prop for my climb at 95 knots. Now one big difference with the integrated autopilot is the FLC function, "Flight Level Change". Set this and the auopilot will control pitch to maintain the set airspeed. The older AP I'm accustomed to has only a vertical speed option, so as the plane climbs and engine power decreases, your airspeed gets slower and slower. Get distracted in the climb and you could wind up stalling. Not so with the FLC function.......run out of power and you simply stop climbing.

ATC cleared me direct Manchester and then direct to the Initial Approach Fix (IAF) for the ILS 02 approach into Keene, called CAHOW. CAHOW has a required hold in lieu of a procedure turn nut the autopilot knew that. It autimatically executed a teardrop entry into the hold. But instead of a 1 minute outbound leg, it flew a 5 mile pattern. I'll have to see how that can be changed, if possible. After the turn inbound, I crossed CAHOW and the PFD automatically changed over from GPS to Localizer navigation for the ILS. At the Final Approach Fix (FAF), I simply had to set power to maintain 90 knots approach speed and the sutopilot took me all the way down to decision height.........how cool! After a very nice touch and go (if I do say so myself, ) I went missed.

Now the autopilot went into suspend mode once I reached the missed approach point. I unsuspended it and selected GPs for navigation. It flew the entire missed appoach procedure including the terminal hold. Once again, I merely had to set power and flaps to maintain the proper airspeed and rate of climb. After announcing the missed to Boston Center, they vectored me around again for another try. I once again flew a touch and go and this time on the missed, asked to open the flight plan back to Bedford. I leveled off at 6,000 feet and was cleared direct to LOBBY.

There was an overcast layer about 500 feet above me but the haze was so thick you could really only see about 3 miles. After being cleared to descent to 3,000 feet, ATC called out a primary target return at 5 miles away at out altitude. As I got closer, I finally identified 3 ultralights, also at 3,000 feet, information and maneuvering in the haze.

Finally, I obtained clearance for the GPS 23 approach, circle to land 29. After contacting the tower, I was instructed to continue the approach to within 1 mile of the sirport, then enter the downwind for 29. I continued the approach to the 600 foor MDA and entered the downwind for what I thought would be a cicle to land clearance. However, the tower controller told me to continue the lft down wind and "I'll call your base".

Well, this presented a problem. We were number three in the pattren now, and the base leg intercepted three towers that were at 573 feet MSL. I adjusted my course to the right and climbed back up to 1200 feet to avoid any guy wires. The tower then called my base and I turned, but the Piper in front of me was far too close. I was just about to call a go around when another controller got on the mike and called for me to go around and squawk 1200. He did this to keep us in the pattern. Because I was on an IFR flight plan, If I popped up back on Boston's radar, Boston approach would have had to be contacted and they would have vectored me back to the start of the approach.

I crossed over the airport and entered the left downwind for a short final and landing. Good practice session.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home